About Campbell Lodge 3643
Campbell Lodge 3643 was Consecrated on Monday 17th March 1913 at the Moseley and Balsall Heath institute, Moseley
The brethren numbering about 140 assembled in the lodge room, a procession was formed and the R.W. Provincial GM General Sir William Campbell Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath, One of his majesties Justices for the commissioning of the piece, ADC to Queen Victoria and King Edward the 7th was escorted to the chair.
During his opening remarks the R.W.P.G.M. expressed his appreciation of the fact that the Founders has asked him to allow them to use his name and his crest he continued by saying “this being a Temperance Lodge I am very glad to welcome such into the province, as many outsiders thought that masonry consisted mainly of eating and drinking, particularly the latter, and the formation of this Lodge was a definite answer to this charge”
Which was thankfully rescinded in our 276th meeting on Oct 1944
We were awarded the Hall Stone Jewel in 1932 raising £500 which is the equivalent to £44,000 in todays money. We remained at the institute until 1937 when we moved to Moseley Masonic Hall
The origins of our banner and what it represents.
The left facing Boars head is the heraldic symbol of Clan Campbell.
The Motto “Pro Domino Et Veritate”. Pro Domino means “for master” which must be referring to Sir William Campbell and Et Veritate means “Truth”.
We think therefore it literally means “The True Master” but we are definitely not Latin Scholars
In heraldic terms the boars head is an emblem of hospitality and is symbolic of courage and ferocity. A champion amongst beasts, a boar encounters enemies with nobility and courage, and thus has come to signify the traits of bravery and perseverance. The Boar is a fierce combatant when at bay and never ceases to resist, even when cornered. The device was given only to those considered fierce warriors.
It’s likely that the Boars head was chosen simply as it is a historic Campbell emblem to symbolize our name but there are other aspects in the heraldic meaning which are applicable to desired Masonic attributes.
As for the 3 black pears, the banner features the county’s famed black pear (Black Worcester Pear) – a symbol reported to have been used by Worcestershire units at the Battle of Agincourt.
In this instance they may have been selected to represent other masonic values , Felicity, Liberality and Faith.
Or the designer may just have liked fruit with his pork scratchings